Workers Compensation Manager – agriculture
The Workers Compensation Manager is responsible for providing strategic leadership and support to the Operations Team in all areas of the workers compensation claims process. The workers compensation manager plans, organizes and supervises our self-insured workers compensation program including reviewing and processing claims, participating in settlement negotiations, recommending loss control strategies, ensuring program conformance to applicable laws and regulations, preparing required reports, and monitoring and evaluating the program activities to ensure the delivery of quality services. Other responsibilities include collaborating and developing successful partnerships between associates, third party administrators (TPAs), internal business partners and external service providers. This position is a full time, exempt employee status position that will report to the General Manager of Processing. This position is located in Kings Co., California.
Responsibilities & Duties:
• Acts as a point of notification and contact for associates regarding any work related incident, illness, or injury that could or has resulted in a Workers’ Compensation claim.
• Serves as an associate advocate while responding to and resolving sensitive inquiries; evaluates problems and takes appropriate action to resolve issues/concerns; advises injured employees on how to coordinate their benefits.
• Identify, evaluate and assess probability and severity of losses; develop, implement, and monitor cost containment strategies to prevent and minimize losses; partner cross functionally to proactively address any re occurring root causes.
• Meets regularly with on-site Health, Safety and Human Resources associates to access and review all open claims and any potential new claims.
• Point of contact for all documentation regarding incident; this includes initial safety notification and investigation details, health information and work status documentation relevant to the claim from outside medical providers, and treatment notes related to health information limited to medical relatedness to the injury.
• Assesses the medical, vocational, behavioral, etc. needs of an injured associate via a combination of face to face, telephonic and written correspondence as needed.
• Communicates all relevant documentation regarding work related incidents to Safety department, healthcare providers, Leave of Absence (LOA) team and TPA to assist in the determination of compensability, recordability and recording keeping requirements. This includes determining mechanism of injury, work restrictions, and managing the information related to work related injury/illness.
• Interfaces with physicians, attorneys, and management staff; coordinates return-to-work plans; coordinates and monitors rehabilitation plans for injured employees; evaluates results of return-to-work medical examinations and makes appropriate determinations; Ongoing point of contact to both internal and external business partners for the duration of the claim.
• Communicates with providers, reviews treatment notes, requests clarification when necessary, follow-up after initial appointments as well as scheduling appointments in conjunction with TPA if a referral to a specialist is required; Review medical notes as they relate to the claim and treatment to verify appropriateness.
• Ensures confidentiality of Workers’ Compensation claims records; including relevant health information related to the claim; Maintains consistent uniform records for each claim; where applicable, ensures all appropriate authorization and forms are signed and processed.
• Ensures that the TPA manages the claims diligently, partners with Management and Legal resources to manage relevant claim details, implements plan for timely resolution of claims; Review claims together with TPA for causation and possible subrogation opportunities.
• Partner with multiple departments to coordinate and manage Return to Work programs for employees to ensure that work restriction and transitional work guidelines are being adhered to Provide transitional work letter to associates.
• Oversee and ensure an efficient records maintenance system for workers’ compensation claims and related information, data and activities; completes required reports and records; authorize payment on medical bills, permanent and temporary disability compensation; maintains and update the transitional work tracker form for the designated sites on a weekly basis.
• Review all open claims every 30 days for opportunities for claims management and partner with all relevant parties on a plan of action.
• Schedule, develop agenda and host all conference calls and claim reviews with TPA.
• Other Duties as assigned.
You Have (Minimum Qualifications):
• Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in public administration, business administration, risk management, workers’ compensation or closely related field or equivalent combination of training/experience required.
• Minimum (6) years experience handling workers’ compensation indemnity claims; to include settlement negotiation of litigated claims required.
• Project Management
• Proficient in MS Office (Word, PowerPoint, Excel)
• Strong written and oral communication skills required
• Good communication skills, customer-oriented and teamwork-oriented
• Must be able to work independently while working in a team environment
• Must be observant, organized, and detailed oriented; Able to focus on the task at hand and consistently deliver error free results
• Must function well in a fast paced environment
• Ability to set priorities, work on multiple tasks and be persuasive during business conversations
• Highly developed social skills – able to network at a high level
• Great attitude
We hope you have (Preferred Qualifications):
• Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in public administration, business administration, risk management, workers’ compensation or closely related field or equivalent combination of training/experience required. Plus 6 years relative experience and supervisory experience preferred.
We Offer You:
• An incredible culture of pride and innovation within a business run by the 3rd family generation of the founder.
• Competitive salary and benefits including a 401(k) retirement plan.
Salary range is $75-85,000 plus excellent benefit package and relocation assistance.Apply for the job