Business Unit Controller/Assistant Corp Controller (oil/gas)
Key Activities and Responsibilities:
- Build and lead a team of professional accountants in the Bakersfield area.
- Manage revenue and joint interest billing (JIB) accounting activities, including operational allocations, working interest, and royalty calculations.
- Research and resolve operated JIB working interest issues and billing disputes by working with Land, Operations, and other departments.
- Hands on in the maintenance of the general ledger and all related accounts, as well as monthly and year-end closings and the preparation of interim, year-end, and comparative financial reports.
- Manage the accounts payable function, ensuring timely and accurate payment; ensures compliance with all company policies and procedures.
- Owners – work with Land department to obtain changes in owner’s personal information as well as interest changes/transfers.
- Manage capital expenditures processing ensuring that AFEs are properly monitored and reported.
- Define and document procedures and processes, implement appropriate controls, and continually seek opportunities for improvement.
- Tax – maintain and complete quarterly spreadsheets to report royalty and partner California withholding.
- Yearly complete 592-b forms for all royalty and partner withholding, as well as, quarterly 592 returns. Also, complete 1099’s for owners/vendors and 1099 tax returns and uploads yearly.
- Property Taxes – tie property tax spreadsheet to invoices to reconcile property taxes before sending upload file to Kern County. Complete the wire and manual entry to clear the invoices from OGSYS. Create allocation and provide to team for revenue.
- Ensure the maintenance of appropriate financial records.
- Responsible for the monitoring and review of timely statutory accounting reports.
- Partner with operations team to lead/oversee financial analysis requests and ensure all proposals for new projects, capital development program, or operational expenses are appropriately analyzed and valued from a financial and operational perspective.
- Oversee the modeling of the annual capital development and operating plans, in addition to monthly forecasting.
- Oversee the preparation of updated capital/operational forecasts vs budget analyses and provide status updates to the operations/management team on performance. Additionally, estimate project in-service dates, and provide early notifications on projects expected to exceed budget.
- Must have 7 – 12 years progressive accounting experience, including management-level experience.
- Degree in Accounting, Finance, Business Administration, or similar
- Proficient in Microsoft Office and have ERP systems knowledge.
- Oil exploration and/or production experience of 3-5 years minimum.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills as this position interfaces with President and COO, Controller and Operations management team.
- Previous experience with OGSYS is not required, but strongly desired