Agronomist – Bakersfield, CA.
The Agronomist is a licensed Pest Control Advisor who is responsible for monitoring insects, plant development, soil health, and recommending corrective actions. They coordinate and oversee all chemical applications and the corresponding personnel and environmental safety. They conduct field experiments to develop new crop production methods, improve efficiencies, increase yield, and enhance quality.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Other duties may be assigned.
- Monitors fertility, insects, weeds, and diseases for all crops in their assigned District.
- Writes recommendations and oversees all fertilizer, pesticide, herbicide, and fungicide applications.
- Supervises agricultural chemical vendors and applicators.
- Plans, executes, and reports on field research relating to every area of production for all crops grown in their assigned District including: pistachios, tomatoes, onions, cotton, and safflower.
- Utilizes Geographical Information Systems (G.I.S.) and G.P.S. technology to monitor production, and analyze data.
- Manages the District Safety Program
- Maintains District field records.
- Reports to work in a timely fashion, ready, willing and able to perform the essential duties and responsibilities of his job.
- Working with, and supervising, 1 – 6 subordinate supervisors who, in turn, supervise a total of 1-200 field employees.
- Directly Supervising 1-3 field scouts during the production season. This includes: interviewing, hiring, and training of new scouts; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising, rewarding and disciplining performance; and addressing and resolving personnel problems.
- Carrying out all supervisory responsibilities in accordance with Company policies and applicable laws.
- IMPORTANT NOTE: Company has a long history of maintaining excellent working conditions for their employees. You, as an Agronomist, are an extension of the Company to the employees you work with; and with that responsibility, you are expected to be available to them, listen to their concerns, explain your decisions, and be sure you are understood. Above all, be fair, consistent, and respectful when carrying out your responsibilities.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
- Bachelors’ Degree in Agricultural Sciences, Biological Sciences, or Pest Management.
- Possess, or be able to obtain a Pest Control Advisor in the near future.
- Must read, write, and speak English.
- Spanish is not required, but definitely a plus.
- Able to comprehend and apply principles of modern algebra and advanced statistical theory.
- Ability to work with concepts such as quadratic and differential equations, and proofs of theorems.